Steps to Becoming a Licensed Foster or Adoptive Parent
- Call 1-800-432-2075.
- We will provide a more extensive application for you to complete.
- After the application has been received and reviewed, a placement social worker will contact you to schedule an initial interview (Step 2).
- An initial interview will be conducted at the CYFD office.
- You’ll be scheduled for fingerprinting.
- We’ll provide you with a home study packet, a list of documents you’ll need to submit, and a schedule of the Relative Adoptive FosterAFT trainings (four Saturdays) required for licensing.
You’ll be responsible for completing the following:
- Follow through with getting fingerprinted.
- Complete and return requested forms.
- Gather documents needed for the home study.
- Complete the Relative Adoptive Foster Training sessions.
- After completed forms are received and reviewed, the placement social worker will contact you to schedule the first home visit. The applicant(s), other adults, and any children in the home will be interviewed as part of the home study process.
- After at least two to three home visits, the placement social worker will compile the information into a written home study report, which will be given to you for review before being submitted for supervisory review.
- The home study is submitted for supervisory review.
- Once approved, you will be given your foster / adoptive home license. The license is good for two years and is maintained with annual training.
- Congratulations! You are now able to begin accepting children into your home.