Are you ready to take
the next step?
Foster a New Mexico Youth
A CYFD Resource Foster Parent provides a safe and nurturing environment to children who cannot live at home with their families due to factors that may be unsafe for them.
Resource Foster Parents open their homes and their hearts to these children by cultivating safety, growth, and learning in a comfortable family setting. Resource Foster Parents encourage children to remain connected to their religion, culture, and community. These families have an opportunity to build lifelong relationships with children in foster care.
Are you ready to be a Resource Foster Family? We look forward to hearing from you!
Choose the Type of Foster Care You Provide
As a foster parent, you choose the age, gender, ethnicity and needs level of the children you would like to care for in your home.
- Regular foster care is day-to-day care.
- Specialized foster care is day-to-day care for children who require extra time and attention due to a medical, behavioral or emotional problem.
- Respite foster care provides short term foster care for children placed primarily in another foster home.
CYFD Provides Support
Foster parents are reimbursed for some of the expenses incurred while providing care to children placed in their home. Children in custody receive complete medical coverage. They are also eligible for child care services.
A child’s trust is a treasure. Years of broken promises shatter a child’s ability to trust. Can you be there for the long haul? Can you keep your promise? Be a foster parent.
- A permanent, stable, loving family.
- The security of a “forever” home.
- An opportunity for a child to develop self-esteem and become a successful adult.
When You Partner With CYFD
In about four to six months, you might qualify to become a foster parent if you are:
- 18 or older
- Pass a fingerprint federal and state criminal record check
- A New Mexico resident
- Willing to attend 32 hours of free training
- Willing to participate in a free home study
- Committed to caring for children
- Single or married